You’re invited to a summer grilling party! A pizza grilling party that is.
Grilling pizzas is the new fun and original way to get together with friends and family for a great summer party. These are a few tips for hosting a summer grilling party that will be unique and fun for all of your guests.
We have all been to the summer grilling parties in which we are served the same hot dogs, brats,and burgers. Ho hum. The time has come for a new twist on grilling: pizza.
The first step to get ready for a summer pizza grilling party will be to prepare the dough. The recipe that follows is a recipe formulated for the grill which will make about 10 individual pizzas. Cut it in half for a smaller group double it for a larger group. The pizza dough can be made a few hours ahead and the dough can be kept in the refrigerator after it is rolled out if necessary. The toppings can be prepared in advance as well. I have even made the crusts in advance and froze them. Then thawed them out the day of the party. They turned out terrific that way too.
GRILLED PIZZA CRUST RECIPE
1. Dissolve 2 packages of yeast in 2 cups of warm water.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of sugar or honey and stir.
3. Cover and allow this to proof in a warm area for 10 minutes.
4. Stir in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
5. Stir in 7 cups of bread flour and a pinch of salt.
6. Mix these ingredients until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the bowl.
7. Then turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead well for 8-10 minutes.
8. Using olive oil coat a larger bowl and place the dough in the bowl. Turn the side that was against the oiled bowl over on the top.
9. Cover will a towel and let rise in a warm place for one hour.
10. After one hour, punch down the dough and fold in 4 cloves of garlic minced and 2 tablespoons of chopped basil.
11. Allow the dough to raise for another hour.
12. Then form the dough into 10 mini pizzas-rolled fairly thin for quick cooking. Place the formed crusts on cookie sheet lined with floured waxed paper. Cover with a towel until serving time.
Then you will want to prepare a topping buffet. This should include a variety of toppings.
Meats: Sausage, pepperoni, ground hamburger, Canadian bacon,grilled chicken chunks anchovies
Vegies: Sliced peppers, onion, mushrooms, tomatoes, fresh basil, olives, pickles
Cheeses: Mozzarella, Parmesan, or another favorite cheese
Sauces: Pizza sauce, Alfredo Sauce, Ranch Dressing
Have divided dishes to display the toppings so your guests can make their own pizzas.
It is important to have two tables by the grill for this party. On one side of the grill have a table for the uncooked ingredients. Plan to have a tray with ice to place the toppings serving containers on to keep them cold.
Have another table on the other side for taking the cooked pizzas off the grill. Have a large cutting board set up on this table with a pizza cutter and spatula available. Here also have paper napkins, silverware and the beverages.
When the time arrives for the party, fire up the grill to a medium high heat. Use a little olive oil to grease the grill or what actually works well is a sheet of aluminum foil lining the grill. After the grill is hot and the crowd has gathered bring 2-4 people depending on the size of the grill over to make their own pizzas.
Place the crusts on the grill. Leave them on this side just until the crust starts to puff, then using a tongs flip the crust. Then brush the crust lightly with olive oil and the preferred sauce. Let each person add their own toppings. Close the grill and let the pizza cook until the cheese is melted and the toppings are hot.
Use two spatulas to lift the crust from the grill onto serving platters.
Guests love making their own pizzas and the grill becomes a place to socialize and visit. It can be a great way for guests who do not know each other well to start a conversation.
Add some great wine, beer and some sodas and it will create a memorable grilling party that everyone will want to go to again. It can be accompanied with some Caesar salad and a simple dessert such as ice cream or a bar and cookie platter.
If you want a new twist on the grilling party this is a sure fire crowd pleaser that not everyone has seen before. Not only will it serve great food, it will be entertaining and unique as well.