Ahh, the good old pina colada. What could be more refreshing than a nice, cold, blended drink of pineapple, coconut, rum, and cream? This is one of the most popular summertime drinks around. The pina colada tastes great anywhere, but especially on the beach or by the pool. Whip up a pitcher of these and serve them at your next party, and transport everyone to the tropics!
This recipe is one of my very favorites, and it is absolutely wonderful. Though traditionally a hot-weather drink, I actually like to make this in the wintertime to chase away those cold-day blues. It brings back the memories of the beach and helps to distract from yet another snowstorm. We made these during a blizzard while watching a marathon of episodes of “Burn Notice” (which is set in Miami). It was a total blast!
This recipe should serve four people, so if you are having more or fewer people to help you drink it, be sure to adjust the recipe accordingly. Don’t attempt to be a hero and drink the entire pitcher yourself – that is a formula for liver rebellion.
AMIGOS PINA COLADA RECIPE
10 to 12 ice cubes, crushed
1 cup rum
1 1/4 cups pineapple juice
5 measures coconut cream
2 measures dark rum
2 measures light cream
1.Chill four lowball or hurricane glasses by filling them with ice and cold water.
2. In a blender, add the ice cubes, rum, pineapple juice, coconut cream, dark rum, and light cream.
3. Blend the mixture until it is smooth.
4. Pour out the ice and water from the lowball or hurricane glasses.
5. Without straining, pour the pina colada into the chilled glasses.
6. Create the garnish by using skewers and decorating them with the pineapple wedges and cocktail cherries. Place them on the glasses and serve.