Did you know that red peppers, green peppers and onions can be conveniently roasted right on the stove top? Stove top roasting is an extremely easy, quick and effective way to roast your peppers to gourmet perfection.
This stove-top recipe is only for gas (not electric!) ranges. Before you begin, make sure you start out with a scrupulously clean stove-top range. Then:
1) Slice 3 large red (and/or green) bell peppers in half and scoop out the seeds. Rinse them well and dry.
2) Finely mince one small garlic clove.
2) Peel, wash and slice a whole onion in half. Dry well.
3) Marinate bell peppers, onion and minced garlic in a bowl with a pinch of sea salt, oregano, and plenty of extra virgin olive oil to coat the vegetables. Cover, refrigerate and allow to marinate for at least an hour or until flavors are locked in.
4) Next, turn your range up to high and using a pair of barbecue thongs, “individually” place the pieces of halved pepper and onion directly on the clean stove-top range (be careful your vegetables don’t fall into the flame!). You’ll need to watch things closely at this point. When the underside of your vegetable begins to hiss and scorch (it only takes moments!), turn it over using the metal thongs and repeat the process on the other side. Transfer done slices to a clean dish and repeat the process with all the marinated vegetable pieces.
Now, you’ll have a luscious, juicy dish of roasted peppers and accompanying roast onion, worthy of being added to any recipe, be it salad, pasta or sandwich; served hot or cold – and it only took “moments” to prepare!
Note: these roasted vegetables will keep well under refrigeration for a couple of days, but should be used swiftly at their flavorful best.