In the south they eat fried green tomatoes, in Central and South America they eat fried green plantains!
Tostones, fried green plantains, are a rare and delicious treat. They make a great appetizer or side dish.
– 5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
– 1 plantain, peeled
– 3 cups of cold water
1. Put oil in a large skillet over high heat.
2. Slice plantains into pieces and place in the oil. Fry plantains on both sides (about 3 minutes for each side)
3. Remove the plantains from the pan. Place a plate over the fried plantains and flatten them by pressing down.
4. Dip the plantains in water and return them to the oil. Fry for an additional minute on each side.
5. Salt to taste, serve hot.
Yield: 2 servings