The secret to successfully making spring rolls at home is to finely chop all the ingredients into uniform sizes. Having the ingredients all approximately the same size, will enable the egg rolls to cook quickly and evenly throughout the center. Although some egg roll and spring roll recipes will call for raw meat to be used in the filling, this recipe requires the meat to be precooked to make sure it is thoroughly done.
Spring roll and egg roll wrappers can be found in the fresh produce section of most grocery stores. This recipe makes approximately 24 spring rolls. Hoisin sauce can be found in the ethnic food section of grocery stores, usually on the same aisle as soy sauce.
Spring Roll Recipe Ingredients
- 1 pound shrimp – cooked and diced
- 1 pound ground turkey – cooked and fat drained off
- 4 ounces mushrooms – cleaned and diced
- 1/3 cup green onions – sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons cilantro – minced
- ½ cup bell pepper – seeded and diced
- 8 ounces Chinese cabbage – finely shredded
- 8 ounce can water chestnuts – drained and diced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger root
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- 24 egg roll or spring roll wrappers
- 3 cups vegetable oil
Spring Roll Recipe Directions
- Mix the shrimp and turkey together in a large bowl.
- Add the mushrooms, green onions, cumin, cilantro, bell pepper, Chinese cabbage, water chestnuts, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and ginger root and stir until well blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water.
- Place ¼ cup of the spring roll filling on one corner of the spring roll wrapper.
- Use a pastry brush to spread a bit of the cornstarch mixture along the edges of the egg roll wrapper.
- Roll the wrapper into a tight bundle, being sure to fold in all the sides and corners.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy pan over high heat until it reaches approximately 375° F.
- Cook the spring rolls 4 at a time until golden brown, approximately 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side, for a total of 4 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the spring rolls from the oil and place on a plate that has been lined with paper towel.
- Serve immediately with additional soy sauce, if desired, for dipping.
Spring Roll Recipe Substitutions and Tips
Making egg rolls at home enables the chef to get creative with the ingredients. Here are a few suggestions for ingredient substitutions to vary the flavor of the spring rolls.
- Ground beef or ground pork can be substituted for the ground turkey.
- Parsley can be substituted for the cilantro.
- Teriyaki sauce can be used in place of the soy sauce.
- Oyster sauce can be used in place of the hoisin sauce.
- Finely diced bamboo shoots can be used in place of some or all of the water chestnuts.
- Although fresh ginger is called for in this recipe, 1 teaspoon of ginger powder can be substituted if necessary.
- Canned shrimp can be used in this recipe if desired. Simply drain the water from the shrimp, coarsely chop, and add to the spring roll filling.