This is, without doubt, “the little black dress” of chocolate cakes. Dress it up, or dress it down, its always reliable, and always delicious.
It is fresh, homemade, bakes in 15 minutes, and is prepared in even less time.
1 1/4 cups butter
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups unsifted flour
1 1/2 cups firmly-packed dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 cup chopped nuts.
Preheat oven to 350-degrees
* In small saucepan, melt 1 cup butter, stir in 1/4 cup cocoa, then, water.
* Bring to boil, remove from heat.
* In large mixer bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
* Add cocoa mixture, beat well
* Stir in 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk, eggs and vanilla.
* Pour into greased 15×10-inch sheet pan.
* Bake 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
* In small saucepan, melt remaining 1/4 cup butter, stir in remaining 1/4 cup cocoa and sweetened condensed milk.
* Stir in confectioners’ sugar and nuts and spread on warm cake.
MY FAVORITE FINISH:
* Spread frosting on warm cake
* Serve with whipped cream, fresh strawberries, a sprinkle of toasted walnuts and chocolate curls.
Whether you need a simple snack or a “fancy dessert”, this will lead your imagination towards making this little recipe one of the basics of your repertoire.