Following is a recipe for healthy, home-made soft-serve ice cream. Not only is this low in fat, it is also vegan, gluten free, lactose free and good for you! Most importantly, it tastes amazing. I’m sure this all sounds too good to be true but I promise you it is absolutely genuine. This is an excellent way to satisfy your ice cream cravings without sabotaging your diet. It also makes a fantastic pre-workout snack.
You will need:
– 2 Bananas
– A food processor
– 1/4 cup of water
– 2 dates
– Your choice of sweetener (I would recommend stevia as it is natural, healthy, and low in calories)
– Additional flavoring (I would recommend cinnamon as it is a great source of calcium and manganese)
– Peel and cut the bananas into quarter-inch chunks. Place the chunks into a container and freeze them;
– Take the frozen banana and place it in the food processor along with a small amount of water and any optional ingredients you have chosen;
– The amount of water required varies – you want to add as little as possible but ensure that the frozen banana blends up smoothly;
– Allow it to process for 5 minutes (this can be a bit noisy but it is worth the wait);
– Have a taste test to make sure you have added enough sweetener and flavoring – adjust to taste.
The final product has the consistency of soft serve ice-cream but is low-fat, gluten free, lactose free, vegan and healthy. It tastes amazing as it is but you can experiment with all sorts of flavoring. If you add dates they blend up into chunks which taste like caramel. I would recommend always using at least two bananas. It may just be my food processor but it never seems to work properly with just one. This makes it a great recipe to share and people are always amazed at how you’ve managed to create something so delicious from such simple ingredients.