Now you may all be saying. .. “yeah not so much,” especially the die-hard carnivores! Let me tell you, turkey lasagna is much tastier than
grandma’s old-fashioned lasagna(sorry nanny) because turkey adapts to many flavors. If you season ground turkey with fresh oregano, garlic, basil,and a
dash of lemon zest, then you have the key component to a wonderful casserole. Take a look at my recipe, try it out and I bet you will do it again. If not,
then call me and I will come to your house and make it for you!
1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
1-2 jars pasta sauce(something that you enjoy, I usually pick something with sun-dried tomatoes in it if I am not making the sauce from scratch)
2 tbsp. oregano
2 tbsp. basil
1-2 cloves fresh minced garlic
a pinch of lemon zest( you can buy this at the store, sometimes referred to as lemon peel)
1 bx of whole wheat lasagna noodles(go white if you are not ready for this change, but I suggest it)
1 lb grated mozzarella
1-2 cups skim ricotta
1. cook pasta according to the directions. when the water starts to boil…start cooking the ground turkey. Preheat oven to 350.
Prep for the cooking turkey is: take ground turkey from the pkg and place into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add basil, oregano, minced garlic, and lemon peel. Mix it together with your hands(afterward please wash your hands). In a large skillet on med-hi add the turkey. Cook until brown(or to your liking). Drain grease. Set aside when done
2. While the pasta is cooking and the turkey is browning, in a small bowl add the ricotta and 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese. Mix with spoon(it will integrate itself together. You can add basil or oregano to this if you want, i do usually.
3. In a large casserole dish(glass about 9X13 or one of the normal sizes) add 1-2 cups of pasta sauce to the bottom of the dish. just enough to coat the bottom. Lay down noodles side by side(usually three). Layer on the turkey then the ricotta, and a little bit more Mozzarella and then some more sauce. Do this layering until you run out of turkey and cheese
or there is no more space in the dish.
4. On the top of the last layer(noodles should cover it) add the remaining sauce and mozzarella cheese.
5. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.